Robert J. Avino, M.D.
Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
Joint Replacement Specialist
Dr. Robert J. Avino is a fellowship trained adult hip and knee reconstruction surgeon. By offering the most current surgical techniques and embracing robotic technologies, Dr. Avino provides superior outcomes with decreased pain.
He is dedicated to serving patients with hip pain and knee pain. He specializes in robotic direct anterior approach hip replacement, robotic knee replacement, and complex revision surgery. Dr. Avino enjoys spending time with each patient, understanding their concerns, recommending both surgical and non-surgical treatment options. His focus is on providing individualized, high-quality care.
Dr. Avino has trained extensively with world leaders in arthroplasty at the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Chicago. He is published in the most prestigious orthopedic journal, The Journal of Arthroplasty. He has presented his research at numerous medical conferences. He also serves as a peer reviewer for The Journal of Arthroplasty and The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Originally from the Midwest, Dr. Avino is proud to live in the community in which he serves. He and his wife, a Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, enjoy golfing, traveling, and exploring southeast Florida.
Dr. Avino is pleased to offer same week appointments in Jupiter and both West Palm Beach offices. Call to schedule your appointment.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida
Levitetz Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Chairperson: Carlos A. Higuera-Rueda, M.D.
Program Director: Aldo M. Riesgo, M.D.
Fellowship in Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction (August 1, 2020 to July 31, 2021)
- University of Chicago Medical Center
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation Medicine
Chairperson: Douglas R. Dirschl, M.D.
Program Director: Tessa Balach, M.D.
Residency in Orthopedic Surgery (June 24, 2015 to June 30, 2020)
- Saint Louis University
School of Medicine
St. Louis, MO
Doctor of Medicine (August 8, 2011 to May 16, 2015)
Saint Louis University
College of Arts & Sciences
St. Louis, MO
Honors Bachelor of Arts (August 20, 2007 to May 26, 2011)
Major: Biology; Minor: Psychology
magna cum laude
- Florida Orthopedic Society, Member (2022 - present)
- Young Arthroplasty Group, AAHKS, Member, (2019 - present)
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Member, (2018 - present)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Member, (2015 - present)
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (2021 - present)
- Reviewer, The Journal of Arthroplasty (2019 - present)
- Chief Resident, University of Chicago Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Distinguished Speaker Coordinator Chef Resident (2019 - 2020)
- Resident Advisory Council, University of Chicago Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine Resident Representative (2018 - 2020)
- Core Quality Improvement Committee, University of Chicago Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Resident Representative (2018 - 2020)
- Inpatient Quality Improvement Subcommittee, University of Chicago Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Resident Representative (2018 - 2020)
- Interview Committee, University of Chicago Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Resident Representative (2016)
- Mako Total Knee, Stryker Corporation, San Francisco, CA (September 21, 2019)
- Mako Total Hip (4.0), Stryker Corporation, Fort Lauderdale, FL (July 7, 2021)
- Mako Partial Knee, Stryker Corporation, Weston, FL (August 2, 2021)
Avino RJ, King CA, Landy DC, Martell JM. Varus-Valgus Constraint in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Short-Term Solution but Will It Last? Journal of Arthroplasty. Volume 35, Issue 3, March 2020, Pages 741-746.e2. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2019.09.048
- Avino RJ, Wlodarski C, Tauchen A, Puri L. Is 30-day readmission rate after total joint replacement affected by where pre-operative medical clearance is performed? AAOS 2019 Annual Meeting, March 12-16, Las Vegas,
- Edgington J, Avino RJ, Tauchen A, Puri L. Patient preference predicts discharge disposition after total joint AAOS 2019 Annual Meeting, March 12-16, Las Vegas, NV.
- Avino RJ, Keller J, Israel H, Cannada LK, Alander DH. Orthopedic Surgery in Patients With Concurrent Liver Disease. Mid-America Orthopedic Association, 2016 Annual Meeting, April 13-17, 2016, Bonita Springs, (Abstract ID: Paper 223).
- Avino RJ, Keller J, Israel H, Cannada LK, Alander Predicting Poor Outcomes in Elective Orthopedic Surgery Patients with Liver Disease. The American College of Surgeons, 101st Clinical Congress, October 26-30, 2014, San Francisco, CA.
- Avino RJ, Allam ES, Chen L, Virgo KS, Margenthaler JA, Johnson FE. Breast Cancer Patient Surveillance following Curative-Intent Treatment: Variation among U.S. Census The American College of Surgeons, 100th Clinical Congress, October 6-10, 2013, Washington, DC.
- Avino RJ, Margenthaler JA, Allam ES, Chen L, Virgo KS, Johnson FE. Patient surveillance after breast cancer treatment: variation among Metropolitan Statistical Society of University Surgeons and Association for Academic Surgery, 8th Annual Academic Surgical Congress, February 5-7, 2013, New Orleans, LA. Surg. Res. 179: 253, 2013 (abst. 29.1).
- Current Concepts Foundation Scholarship (2019)
Scholarship to attend the Current Concepts in Joint Replacement (CCJR) Spring Course
- Consult Service of the Year Award (2016-2017)
Awarded to Orthopedic PGY-2 class from the University of Chicago Department of Emergency Medicine
- Donald W. Bussmann, M.D. Award (2015)
In recognition for service to the medical admissions committee
- Saint Louis University School of Medicine Student Research Award (2014)
Travel scholarship to present research at The American College of Surgeons 101st Clinical Congress
- Saint Louis University Medical Center Department of Surgery Award for Excellence in Research (2013)
Travel scholarship to present research at the 8th Annual Academic Surgical Congress
- 3rd Place Medical Student Research Award (2012)
45th Annual Meeting of the Missouri Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- Clinical Summer Research Fellowship (2012)
Grant awarded to select students participating in research at Saint Louis University
- Saint Louis University Presidential Scholar (2007 - 2011)
Four-year, full-tuition scholarship for exemplary student leadership
- Saint Louis University Medical Scholar (2007 - 2011)
Advanced pre-medical program offering early acceptance into medical school
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honors Society, Member (2007 - 2011)
Pre-medical honors society
- Chicago Plumbing Council Scholarship (2007)